SPRINGFIELD — An Effingham man died Friday in Springfield from injuries received when his coat caught fire while burning yard waste.

Sam Grupe, 85, was pronounced dead at 10:15 p.m. Friday in the burn unit at Memorial Medical Center, Springfield, by a medical physician, according to Sangamon County Coroner Susan Boone.

Boone added Grupe had 44 percent total body surface burns from a yard burning incident.

According to earlier reports, Grupe caught his jacket on fire while burning yard waste at his home at 314 N. Banker St. and had been burnt as a result of the fire.

The Effingham Fire Department was called to the fire at 10:13 a.m. Wednesday and spent an hour at the scene.

The coroner’s office is continuing to investigate the death, and an inquest will be scheduled at a later date.

An obituary for Grupe appears on A5 of today’s paper.

Recommended for you