Today is Saturday, Nov. 28, the 333rd day of 2020. There are 33 days left in the year.
One of my jobs at the museum is that I enter all of the accessions in the computer. It is a very time-consuming job but I get to see all of the items that have been donated to the museum. I am always slowed down because there are usually memories triggered by handling all of these different items.
In this column, I’m writing about two different families with roots in Jasper County, Illinois. The Cooley family were small farmers and the Crews family were farmers with a lot of acreage. Both had large families and strong work ethics. Both families had at least one family member move to E…
- Partial demolition of Village Square Mall scheduled for next week
- Fire damages two homes
- Effingham woman pleads guilty to residential burglary
- Jack Schultz, local columnist: Take precautions against COVID-19 this Thanksgiving
- In need of fashion help? Altamont woman comes to the rescue
- A quieter Black Friday: 'There’s just not as many people out'
- A piece of Mayflower history in Sainte Marie
- Altamont approves water fee
- More COVID-related deaths reported in Effingham County
- Businesses navigate COVID mitigations to prep for Black Friday