Along with the rich fair history and celebration of 75 years of the Effingham County Fair, something new is happening this year when it comes to horse racing.
From sun up to sun down, Mason resident Emily Westfall rides, trains and works her barrel racing horses. In between time, she works in a veterinary office.
As a demolition derby driver, Hannah Paquette of Effingham isn't afraid of anything. It's the thought of getting up on a stage in front of a large crowd she finds a bit intimidating.
AURORA, Ore. – A unit of wheat is called a bushel, and a standard weight of potatoes is called a century. But hemp as a fully legal U.S. agricultural commodity is so new that a unit of hemp seed doesn’t yet have a universal name or an agreed-upon quantity.
SPRINGFIELD – Trent Lawrence had a rude awakening earlier this week. Overnight, mice had gotten into the greenhouse on his farm and eaten several dozen trays of seedlings he was planning to transplant into a field.
If you like munching on seedlings, consider directing your palate toward microgreens. These tiny vegetables burst with rich, leafy flavors ranging from spicy to sweet, and their nutritional power exceeds that of the adult plants.
The Southeastern Illinois Community Foundation has a program called the “Fields of Opportunity” that allows those who own farmland to give back to their community.
A Farina native has been making his mark at Purdue University in the Agricultural and Biological Engineering department. Bernie Engel is the new associate dean of research and graduate education for the College of Agriculture at the West Lafayette, Indiana, university.
Moving with the times of technology in the world of farming, The Equity in Effingham started an online ordering and purchasing option for growers called CommoditAg.
Fighting to keep the American farmer competitive on the global soybean market, the U.S. Soybean Export Council works with the High Yield Plus Quality (HY+Q) program created by the Illinois Soybean Association in hopes of establishing a soybean quality standard that compares to other soybean-…
- Nash Naam, local columnist: A wise and beautiful voice silenced, but not forgotten
- Effingham man indicted following overdose death
- 2 charged with intent to deliver fentanyl/heroin
- Tip leads to meth arrests
- Now there's concern about invasive worms in Central Illinois
- FAMILY TIES: Teutopolis girls tennis team hopes to make history at Class 1A State
- Hidalgo man pleads guilty to meth charge
- Newton Community High School receives grant
- AT LONG LAST: Newton boys cross-country wins first regional title in 39 years
- Jasper County Unit 1 Superintendent Andy Johnson named new Unit 40 superintendent
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.