- Local News
Plan Commission meeting rescheduled
The regularly scheduled Plan Commission meeting will not meet tonight due to a lack of quorum.
Burr pleads guilty to second-degree murder
The rural Dieterich woman accused of killing her on-and-off boyfriend during a fit of rage has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and, as a result, will be in prison past her 70th birthday.
- Museum makeover If the walls of the old Effingham County courthouse museum could talk, they would tell of a rich local history. Delaine Donaldson and his group of tireless volunteers want to the give the historical structure a renewed voice, one that will preserve t
Freedom, family and friends
Ask 10 people what the Fourth of July means to them and you might get 10 different answers.
Four injured in Vandalia accident
Four people were sent to the hospital following a rollover accident outside Vandalia.
Drug-induced homicide suspect appears in court
The Vandalia man accused of providing a fatal dose of heroin to an Altamont man this past January made his first appearance in Effingham County Circuit Court Thursday.
Plea may be near in Burr case
The rural Dieterich woman accused of stabbing a man to death nearly three years ago may be close to accepting a negotiated plea in the case.
Wyckoff faces stipulated bench trial
An Effingham man is going to be tried on charges similar to those initially filed last September in connection with an alleged attack on a woman.
- Council debates public comment restrictions TONY HUFFMANDaily NewsWith some concerned that the current public comment protocol is too restrictive, Effingham City Council commissioners disputed the practice at this week’s meeting.The current protocol requires citizens to obtain a speaker card b
- Sports center at standstill TONY HUFFMANDaily NewsFollowing bids coming in nearly $4 million higher than projected, no final bid was awarded for the construction of the Richard E. Workman Sports and Wellness Center at Wednesday night’s Effingham Park District meeting.At the clo
- More Local News Headlines
- Plan Commission meeting rescheduled