Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

May 7, 2013

UPDATE: Man arrested in connection to fatal stabbing

Bill Grimes
Effingham Daily News

EFFINGHAM — A Beecher City man with an extensive criminal history is expected to appear Wednesday in Effingham County Circuit Court in connection with the Tuesday stabbing death of an Effingham man.

Charles D. Yoder, 51, who has served prison terms for deceptive practice and intimidation, was arrested without incident at 8:20 a.m. Tuesday, Effingham police said.

Officer Kurt Davis said Yoder was arrested in connection with the death of Ted L. Debany, 52. Neighbors said Debany had been living at 109 N. Lincoln St. with a female friend at the time of his death.

Debany was pronounced dead after being taken to St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday.

Davis declined to release a possible motive for the stabbing, but State's Attorney Bryan Kibler said he would seek to have Yoder brought into court for a bond hearing sometime this afternoon. At a bond hearing, prosecutors have to give a reason for detainment.

Kibler said Yoder is the only person facing charges at this time, though he added a final decision had not been made.

Davis declined to say what charges against Yoder the police department was recommending.

Yoder served 32 months in prison between February 2009 and November 2011, on convictions for intimidation and deceptive practice. In addition, he has a pending felony case against him in which police allege he was driving under the influence of alcohol while his license was revoked or suspended for a previous DUI.

Debany was also a convicted felon, having served one year in prison on an aggravated DUI conviction several years ago. However, he had been steadily paying on his fines since his release, according to online court records.

Neighbor Ruth Walden said she was outside her home smoking a cigarette when she heard a disturbance. Debany's female roommate then came outside and cried for help.

“She was yelling for help, so I called 911.” said Walden, who declined to comment further.

Randy Spracklen, who was standing outside the crime scene tape at 109 Lincoln as police and crime scene technicians were coming in and out of the home this morning, said he was a friend of the victim.

“He went to work, came home and didn't bother anybody,” Spracklen said.