An accidental fire caused heavy smoke damage throughout a home near Mason Thursday afternoon.
At 2:05 p.m., Edgewood Fire Protection District received a call about a structure fire at 2671 N. 1325th Street. After arriving at the house, firefighters discovered the fire had started in the basement after a service worker was filling the gas tank, causing an explosion in the furnace.
Edgewood Fire Chief Todd Yocum said smoke coming from the basement was a major problem for firefighters.
"All the fire was contained downstairs but there were plastic tubs and piles of clothes and that's what was causing the smoke issues and a lot of heat," he said.
The resident was not at the residence during the fire. Firefighters from Edgewood, Altamont, Farina, St. Peter and Watson responded to the scene and Shumway and Effingham watched the fire station. Firefighters left the scene at 6:15 p.m. No firefighters were injured in the blaze but the individual filling the gas tank received minor burns on his hands.
Yocum said a number of items in the basement could have caused the fire to spark up again, and he wanted to make sure the flames would not return.
"There was a lot of stuff packed in that basement, and I wanted to make sure it was all out so we didn't have to go back there," he said.
Yocum said he couldn't estimate the total cost of damages to the residence but said there was extensive fire and smoke damage throughout the house.
"I wouldn't say it's a total loss, but there's a lot of damage done downstairs and a lot of smoke damage," he said. "A lot of the wiring is gone too."
Jackson Adams can be reached at 217-347-7151, ext. 131, or firstname.lastname@example.org.