Young volunteers from across the state are being nationally recognized and one Altamont volunteer was one of the top choices.
Paige Logan, a senior at Altamont High School, was named one of the top two youth volunteers in Illinois by the Prudential Community of Spirit Awards, a national program honoring middle school and high school students for outstanding volunteer service.
"My mom told me I got it and I am really, really, really excited," Logan said." I'm really honored to represent Illinois and the U.S."
Logan has been involved with national and state anti-bullying efforts, 4-H and the Student Advisory Committee for the Illinois School Board.
As a state honoree, Logan will receive $1,000, a silver medallion and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C.
"We're going on a cruise on the Potomac," she said. "I've been to D.C., but it was always on business. I'm excited to go on the cruise and meet with other people that have the same interests."
Logan said as her time in high school comes to an end, others will see what she's done and be inspired to volunteer.
"I'm excited to see if someone takes the initiative," she said. "I want to inspire others to pursue their own goals and dreams."
Jackson Adams can be reached at 217-347-7151, ext. 131, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Local News
Meth suspect pleads not guilty
The Beecher City man accused of operating a methamphetamine lab in a Shumway home pleaded not guilty during a brief Thursday morning appearance in Effingham County Circuit Court.
Perfect time to plant
Steve Luchtefeld loves onions.
Hofer hearing delayed
Proceedings were continued Wednesday for an Effingham woman accused of driving under the influence of drugs at the time of a traffic accident that killed a Watson teenager on her way to school.
- Missouri driver ejected, killed Tuesday ST. ELMO -- A driver from Missouri was killed when the semi she was driving overturned on Interstate 70 Tuesday. Royce E. Horton, 50, of Highlandville, Mo., was driving a maroon and white Freightliner truck-tractor westbound at 3:36 a.m. Tuesday on I
- Stew-Stras to upgrade technology STRASBURG -- With no new technology purchased since 2011, new computers will finally be coming to Stewardson-Strasburg Schools starting next year. Superintendent Michele Lindenmeyer said the district will be rolling out technology in phases over the
Semi driver dead in accident on I-70
A semi driver from Missouri was killed when their vehicle overturned on I-70 Tuesday.
Shumway meth suspects plead not guilty
Two of the four arrested in a Shumway methamphetamine bust earlier this month pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Effingham County Circuit Court.
- Man found dead from gunshot wound ST. ELMO -- Fayette County authorities are investigating two unrelated deaths over the weekend. Matthew Austin, 47, of St. Elmo was found dead in his pickup by a family member at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at 501 W. Cumberland Road in St. Elmo. Austin appear
Library seeks community support
With a bid letting set for September and renovation of the old Fifth Third Bank slated to begin in December, the Library Board is actively looking for community support in fundraising.
Effingham man gets five-year sentence for meth lab
An Effingham man was sentenced to five years in prison Monday on a charge of participation in methamphetamine manufacturing.
- More Local News Headlines
- Meth suspect pleads not guilty