Young volunteers from across the state are being nationally recognized and one Altamont volunteer was one of the top choices.
Paige Logan, a senior at Altamont High School, was named one of the top two youth volunteers in Illinois by the Prudential Community of Spirit Awards, a national program honoring middle school and high school students for outstanding volunteer service.
"My mom told me I got it and I am really, really, really excited," Logan said." I'm really honored to represent Illinois and the U.S."
Logan has been involved with national and state anti-bullying efforts, 4-H and the Student Advisory Committee for the Illinois School Board.
As a state honoree, Logan will receive $1,000, a silver medallion and an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C.
"We're going on a cruise on the Potomac," she said. "I've been to D.C., but it was always on business. I'm excited to go on the cruise and meet with other people that have the same interests."
Logan said as her time in high school comes to an end, others will see what she's done and be inspired to volunteer.
"I'm excited to see if someone takes the initiative," she said. "I want to inspire others to pursue their own goals and dreams."
Jackson Adams can be reached at 217-347-7151, ext. 131, or email@example.com.
- Local News
Kluthe Center gives veterans a place to reflect
With help of the community, Tom Caldwell wants to give veterans a place to come to terms with civilian life.
Opinion: Plight of Christians in the Middle East
This Saturday and Sunday millions of Christians around the world will go to church to celebrate Easter.
A passion for wheels leads to a world-class vehicle collection
Since the late 1970s, Arthur Trost has bought, sold, collected or restored 69 vehicles. He has kept 10 of them, many from the '50s, an era he remembers fondly.
Opinion: My Easter Prayer
It was always our most solemn of holidays. Christmas was chaotic, the Christian aspect always front and center yet overshadowed by five boys anxiously awaiting the opening of gifts.
Cross takes on red glow for Good Friday
The Cross at the Crossroads hosted a Good Friday prayer service at the Welcome Center.
- Investigator wants tougher ethics laws for legislators SPRINGFIELD (AP) -- Job recommendations and university application referrals from Illinois lawmakers should be tracked and publicized after clout-related scandals at the University of Illinois and the Metra transit agency, the General Assembly's top
- Medicaid paid $12M for dead Illinoisans CHICAGO (AP) -- The Illinois Medicaid program paid an estimated $12 million for medical services for people listed as deceased in other state records, according to an internal state government memo. The memo dated Friday, which The Associated Press o
Church goers carry cross for Good Friday
For Effingham resident Adrian Guzman, carrying a cross across Effingham is more than symbolism.
Two in hospital after chase with St. Elmo police
Two individuals were sent to the hospital after a chase with a St. Elmo Police officer.
- Sigel St. Michael breaks ground TONY HUFFMAN Daily News Want to Help? Donations are still being accepted for the addition. Donations may be mailed, dropped off at the parish offices, or placed in collection baskets. A donation wall in the renovated parish center will feature a "Giv
- More Local News Headlines
- Kluthe Center gives veterans a place to reflect