"This has the effect of the director being able to choose his or her own boss," he wrote, adding the Health Board has hiring and firing authority over the Health Department administrator.
After acting Chairman David Campbell read the letter, the board voted to appoint Blair Jenson to the Health Board.
Niemann could not attend Monday's meeting because he was "unavoidably" out of town on another matter.
In other action Monday, the board:
• Honored retired Emergency Management Agency director Russ Thomas on his recent retirement.
• Agreed to give the Good Neighbors of Lake Sara $1,000 to defray costs from the recent fireworks display at the lake.
• Appointed Bill Arnold and Dave Bloemer to the county safety committee.
• Approved a four-lot plat for the proposed Gemstone Subdivision at the intersection of Moccasin Road and Cardinal Lane near Lake Sara.
• Issued a proclamation honoring the Teutopolis High School baseball team for its recent success at the state tournament.
The board also agreed on a resolution giving various county funds $110,000 from the personal property replacement tax, an annual housekeeping matter.
The board also passed a resolution approving an operations grant for Effingham County Public Transit that would enable the agency to receive $192,418 during the fiscal year that began July 1.
Bill Grimes can be reached at 217-347-7151, ext. 132, or firstname.lastname@example.org.