Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

November 28, 2012

Kitchen fire damages Teutopolis home

Jackson Adams
Effingham Daily News

TEUTOPOLIS — An early morning fire in Teutopolis caused between an estimated $40,000 to $50,000 in damages.

    At 8:17 a.m., Teutopolis Fire Protection was called in reference to a house fire at 414 E. Main St. Firefighters arrived at the scene at 8:20 a.m. to find visible flames coming from the roof. By 8:40 a.m., the fire was contained. Firefighters remained on the scene until 9:45 a.m.

    Teutopolis Fire Protection was assisted on the scene by the Effingham Fire Department. Montrose and Dieterich fire departments watched the station.

    The blaze began in the kitchen.

    “Frankly speaking, we’re very lucky,” said Jerry Zerrusen, the owner of the house. “There’s some structural damage and some damage in the kitchen, but I have to thank the Teutopolis Fire Department. They were here immediately.”

    Teutopolis Fire Chief Tim McMahon said he estimated the $40,000 to $50,000 in damage is mostly due to heavy smoke inside the residence.

    “The kitchen area was pretty much destroyed and there’s heavy smoke damage,” he said.

    Zerrusen said he thinks the family should be able to bounce back from the damage to their home.

    “We’ve got a big family,” he said. “We’ve got lots of customers. We’ll be back on our feet soon.”

    McMahon said no further investigation into the fire by Teutopolis Fire Protection is expected.

    Jackson Adams can be reached at 217-347-7151, ext. 131 or jackson.adams@effinghamdailynews.com.