Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

November 19, 2012

UPDATE: Fire engulfs business


Effingham Daily News

ALTAMONT — A short circuit in an extension cord caused a fire Monday morning that engulfed Illinois Prefinish near Altamont. No one was injured.

According to Altamont Fire Chief Jon Becker, the cord was used to power a hand sander the owner, Aaron Cox, was operating that morning. Because of internal damage from wear and age, the cord shorted out, he said, causing the fire.

The building is a total loss.