ST. ELMO — A fire caused by a space heater destroyed a residence in St. Elmo Wednesday.
At 11:12 a.m., St. Elmo Fire Department received a call from a neighbor alerting firefighters of a fire at 211 N. Locust Street. Firefighters arrived at the scene to find the residence fully engulfed in flames.
"It was totally involved when we got there," said Fire Chief Doug Engeljohn. "It was a total loss."
St. Elmo firefighters called a full still immediately and were assisted on the scene by Brownstown and Altamont firefighters. Adam Baar lives in the residence, but he and the other residents were not at home during the fire. There were no injuries, although a cat perished in the blaze.
Engeljohn said the cause of the fire was likely due to an electric space heater and estimated the cost of the damages at more than $70,000. Firefighters left the scene at 2:30 p.m.