Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

February 1, 2014

Fire destroys Neoga home

Jackson Adams
Effingham Daily News

NEOGA — A fully engulfed house in Neoga had firefighters on the scene until 1 a.m. Saturday.

At 10:25 p.m. Friday, Neoga firefighters received a call from a neighbor about a fully engulfed home at Rural Route 1 box 264 in Neoga. Firefighters arrived on the scene at 10:45 p.m. to find the house fully engulfed in flames. The residents, Eugene and Irene Potter, were not home as the fire started.

Neoga Fire Chief Bill Albin said the house was a total loss and estimated the fire caused around $70,000 in damages. The fire is still under investigation and a state Fire Marshal will examine the damage Monday, although no cause of the fire has been determined at this time.

Neoga firefighters were assisted at the scene by Sigel and Stewardson fire protection districts. Firefighters left the scene at 1:15 a.m. Saturday. There were no injuries, although a family dog perished in the fire.