Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

February 1, 2013

Fire destroys 142-year-old home


Effingham Daily News

ALTAMONT — Smoldering remains of a 142-year-old home northeast of Altamont are all that is left following a fire that began in a detached wood stove and traveled through duct work into the home early Friday morning. A burned fan on the wood stove appeared to have started the fire.

Chief Jon Becker of Altamont Fire Protection District said firefighters were called to the scene at 2:13 a.m. But by that time, the stove shelter was destroyed and fire was well on its way to destroying the house.

For more on the fire and the seven generations of family who lived there, see Saturday's print edition.