Several hundred Ameren Illinois customers in Effingham, Shumway and Beecher City were without power for more than an hour Tuesday.
The reason for the outage is not yet available, but the power company reported on its website 467 Ameren customers in the 62401 zip code (Effingham) and another 284 customers in the 62414 zip code (Beecher City) lost power shortly before 11 a.m.
The Keller Drive commercial corridor was particularly hard hit. Restaurants along that major thoroughfare had to close during the lunch hour, as did the nearby Wal-Mart and other businesses in that busy area.
Two events scheduled for the Thelma Keller Convention Center Tuesday afternoon were canceled because of the outage, while a third event that had already started at the center continued as scheduled.
Power had been restored throughout the area by 1 p.m.
For more on the story, see Wednesday's print edition of the Daily News.
- Local News
Meth suspect pleads not guilty
The Beecher City man accused of operating a methamphetamine lab in a Shumway home pleaded not guilty during a brief Thursday morning appearance in Effingham County Circuit Court.
Perfect time to plant
Steve Luchtefeld loves onions.
Hofer hearing delayed
Proceedings were continued Wednesday for an Effingham woman accused of driving under the influence of drugs at the time of a traffic accident that killed a Watson teenager on her way to school.
- Missouri driver ejected, killed Tuesday ST. ELMO -- A driver from Missouri was killed when the semi she was driving overturned on Interstate 70 Tuesday. Royce E. Horton, 50, of Highlandville, Mo., was driving a maroon and white Freightliner truck-tractor westbound at 3:36 a.m. Tuesday on I
- Stew-Stras to upgrade technology STRASBURG -- With no new technology purchased since 2011, new computers will finally be coming to Stewardson-Strasburg Schools starting next year. Superintendent Michele Lindenmeyer said the district will be rolling out technology in phases over the
Semi driver dead in accident on I-70
A semi driver from Missouri was killed when their vehicle overturned on I-70 Tuesday.
Shumway meth suspects plead not guilty
Two of the four arrested in a Shumway methamphetamine bust earlier this month pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Effingham County Circuit Court.
- Man found dead from gunshot wound ST. ELMO -- Fayette County authorities are investigating two unrelated deaths over the weekend. Matthew Austin, 47, of St. Elmo was found dead in his pickup by a family member at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at 501 W. Cumberland Road in St. Elmo. Austin appear
Library seeks community support
With a bid letting set for September and renovation of the old Fifth Third Bank slated to begin in December, the Library Board is actively looking for community support in fundraising.
Effingham man gets five-year sentence for meth lab
An Effingham man was sentenced to five years in prison Monday on a charge of participation in methamphetamine manufacturing.
- More Local News Headlines
- Meth suspect pleads not guilty