EFFINGHAM — Diners were evacuated from Lone Star Steakhouse Friday evening when a fire broke out in the attic.
An outdoor electric fixture at the peak of the restaurant's roof arced and caused a fire in the attic of the establishment.
A full-still was called at 6:50 p.m., leading Effingham firefighters to unroll hose and spray a visible flame, said Fire Chief Joe Holomy. A hole was cut in the roof and firefighters inspected the attic to determine the fire was extinguished, he added.
The fire was contained to the attic, but the smoke-filled restaurant was closed for the evening. A representative was called from the Effingham County Health Department to inspect the building. Holomy said lighting must be fixed, along with the hole in the roof, before the building can be reinspected and reopened.
There were no injuries. Holomy estimates the fire caused a few thousand dollars worth of damage.
Watson and Teutopolis Fire Departments covered the Effingham Stations while two Effingham engines and two trucks responded to the call.