Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

January 7, 2014

Furnace malfunction leads to home fire

'Major damage' reported

Tony Huffman
Effingham Daily News

EFFINGHAM — A furnace malfunction led to a fire in a mobile home at Easy Breeze mobile home park early Tuesday evening.

The Effingham Fire Department was called out to the fire at 5:05 p.m. after a neighbor noticed flames at the home located at unit 21. Inhabitants Charles King Jr. and his son, James King, weren't home at the time of the fire, said Effingham Fire Chief Joe Holomy. The two were able to find another place to stay for the night, added Holomy.

According to Effingham Lt. Jason Lee, firefighters fought the fire for two hours.

“We had to empty tanks on two trucks because there was a frozen hydrant,” said Lee.

Lee added that the mobile home sustained “major damage” as the fire damaged under the home and exterior walls. The contents of the trailer were saved, he added.