EFFINGHAM — A house is being described as a total loss after fire filled the home of Judith Rodgers at 610 South Fifth Street at approximately 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
According to Rodgers' granddaughter Amber McCord, who lives next door to the burned home, her grandmother awoke from a nap to find her home on fire. After Rodgers and her boyfriend left the home, McCord's friend Justin Skidwell had to keep Rodgers from returning into the home to search for her pets.
"She tried going back into the house, and I told her to stay out," said Skidwell.
Rodgers was transported to St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital for a flare-up in her asthma due to smoke inhalation, and received a treatment for shock, said Rodgers' daughter Brenda Brown. Brown added that she thought her mother is doing better after treatment.
According to Effingham Fire Department Captain Bob Hoffman, Emergency Medical Services informed him that Rodgers was transported to the hospital for shock and not smoke inhalation. Her specific condition was not known by press time.
See tomorrow's paper edition for more information.