Wayne Dixon “Dick” Rawlings, 81, of rural Neoga, passed away at 9:40 a.m. Monday, March 4, 2013, at Hilltop Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Charleston.
A Mass of Christian burial will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Mary of the Assumption Church, Neoga, with the Rev. Robert DeGrand and Sister Pat Theis officiating. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today, March 6, with a parish wake service at 6 p.m. at Swengel-O’Dell Funeral Home, Neoga. Burial will be in Neoga Memorial Cemetery with military services conducted by VFW Post 4325 of Mattoon. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association. The family wishes a special thank you to the staff at Hilltop Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center for their loving care of Dick during his stay. Online condolences may be left at swengel-odell.com.
Dick was born Jan. 8, 1932, in Shelby County, the son of Willis and Mildred (Blake) Rawlings. After graduating from Neoga High School, he joined the United States Army, where he served until his discharge in 1954. Dick was a butcher for Casstevens Grocery Store in Neoga for many years. He married Maxine Walk Sept. 29, 1956, in Neoga and later started farming for Walk Farm Inc. for several years. Dick was a member of the St. Mary of the Assumption Church of Neoga, a member of the Effingham Bowling League and a member of the Cumberland County Farm Bureau. Dick was an avid hunter and fisherman and loved being outdoors and spending time with his family and friends.
Dick leaves wife, Maxine, of 56 years; one son, Greg Rawlings and wife, Rhonda, of Neoga; two daughters, Lori Apke and husband, Gary, of Effingham, and Amy Boothe and husband, Parker, of Charleston; seven grandchildren, Scott Rawlings and wife, Kristi, of Robinson, Beth Friese and husband, Andy, of Stewardson; Aaron Apke and fiancee, Brittany Kistler, and Meghan and Jeremy Apke, all of Effingham; Savannah and Seth Boothe, both of Charleston; and four great-grandchildren.
Mr. Rawlings was preceded in death by his parents and one infant son, Michael Joseph Rawlings.
- Death Notices
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, age 92, of Newton, retired farmer, died at 2:19 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St John's Hospital in Springfield. Arrangements are being handled by J.W. Neal Funeral Home, Louisville where the family will receive friends fr
- Brenda Hammond Brenda J. Hammond, 73, of Martinsville, IL passed away at 10:26 a.m. on Friday, April 18, 2014, at her home in Martinsville. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Greenwell Funeral Home with Bro. Randy Black officiating. Burial will
- Carolyn Sur Carolyn A. Sur, 72, of Green Creek, died Saturday evening at her sister's home. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. today at St. Mary's Help of Christians Catholic Church in Green Creek with burial in the church cemetery. A visitation was held S
- Calvin Reynolds Calvin J. Reynolds, 77, of Newton, died at at 2 p.m., April 18, 2014, at St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital, Effingham. Funeral services will be at 1 p.m., Tuesday at the Crain Funeral Home, Newton, with Pastor Rick Britton officiating. Visitation will
- Marva Perry Marva Jean Perry 75 of Effingham, died at 7:34 p.m. Saturday. April 19, 2014, in her home. Arrangements are incomplete at Lockart-Green Funeral Home in Beecher City. Marva Perry Effingham
- Janet Shew Janet Shew, 70, of Casey, died at 12:20 p.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014, at Heartland Manor Nursing Center. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at Goodwin Family Funeral Home & Crematory of Casey. Janet Shew Casey
- Genevieve Hickox Genevieve Lillian Hickox, 90, of Casey, retired teacher, died at 12 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at Heartland Nursing Center, Casey. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Markwell Funeral Home with Pastor Ken “Bud” Wade officiating.
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, age 92, of Newton, passed away at 2:19 p.m., Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St John's Hospital in Springfield. Arrangements are being handled by J.W. Neal Funeral Home, Louisville, where the family will receive friends from 6 to
- Samie Cox Samie F. Cox, 69, died Tuesday morning, April 15, 2014, at her home in Effingham. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bauer Funeral Home in Effingham with burial in Red Brush Cemetery, Louisville. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m.
- Carolyn Sur Carolyn A Sur, 72, of Green Creek, passed away Saturday evening at her sister's home. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Mary's Help of Christians Catholic Church in Green Creek with burial in the church cemetery. Visitation will
- More Death Notices Headlines