Wayne Dixon “Dick” Rawlings, 81, of rural Neoga, passed away at 9:40 a.m. Monday, March 4, 2013, at Hilltop Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Charleston.
A Mass of Christian burial will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Mary of the Assumption Church, Neoga, with the Rev. Robert DeGrand and Sister Pat Theis officiating. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today, March 6, with a parish wake service at 6 p.m. at Swengel-O’Dell Funeral Home, Neoga. Burial will be in Neoga Memorial Cemetery with military services conducted by VFW Post 4325 of Mattoon. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association. The family wishes a special thank you to the staff at Hilltop Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center for their loving care of Dick during his stay. Online condolences may be left at swengel-odell.com.
Dick was born Jan. 8, 1932, in Shelby County, the son of Willis and Mildred (Blake) Rawlings. After graduating from Neoga High School, he joined the United States Army, where he served until his discharge in 1954. Dick was a butcher for Casstevens Grocery Store in Neoga for many years. He married Maxine Walk Sept. 29, 1956, in Neoga and later started farming for Walk Farm Inc. for several years. Dick was a member of the St. Mary of the Assumption Church of Neoga, a member of the Effingham Bowling League and a member of the Cumberland County Farm Bureau. Dick was an avid hunter and fisherman and loved being outdoors and spending time with his family and friends.
Dick leaves wife, Maxine, of 56 years; one son, Greg Rawlings and wife, Rhonda, of Neoga; two daughters, Lori Apke and husband, Gary, of Effingham, and Amy Boothe and husband, Parker, of Charleston; seven grandchildren, Scott Rawlings and wife, Kristi, of Robinson, Beth Friese and husband, Andy, of Stewardson; Aaron Apke and fiancee, Brittany Kistler, and Meghan and Jeremy Apke, all of Effingham; Savannah and Seth Boothe, both of Charleston; and four great-grandchildren.
Mr. Rawlings was preceded in death by his parents and one infant son, Michael Joseph Rawlings.
- Death Notices
- Rosalie Miller Rosalie Miller, 79, of Newton, died at 6:30 a.m. Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, at her residence. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church in Newton with Fr. Al Kemme and Deacon Larry Miller off
- Alvin Adermann Alvin Otto Adermann, 89, of Altamont, died at 2:18 a.m. Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 at his rural farm home in Fayette County, near Altamont. Funeral Services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church, Altamont with t
- Alvin Oakley Alvin W. Oakley, 83, of Toledo, died at 1:03 p.m. Monday, Dec. 9, 2013, at Cumberland Rehab & Health Care Center, Greenup. Arrangements are incomplete at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Toledo.
- Bradly Newlin Bradly A. Newlin, 31, of St. Clairsville, Ohio, formerly of Effingham, passed away Friday morning, Dec. 6, 2013. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Bauer Funeral Home in Effingham with burial in Watson Cemetery. Visitation will be hel
- Carolyn Williams Carolyn Sue Williams, 76, of Mattoon, passed away at 3:35 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013, at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center, Mattoon. A memorial service will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Swengel-O'Dell Funeral Home, Neoga, with the Rev. Dave Dolan offic
- Dorothy Kaiser Dorothy Irene Kaiser, 90, of Effingham, formerly of Edgewood, passed away at 5:27 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, 2013, at Evergreen Nursing & Rehab Center, Effingham. Funeral services is at noon Wednesday at Harvest Methodist Church, Edgewood, with the Rev. J
- Brittany Baker Brittany Nicole Baker, 18, of Watson, died Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013. A Celebration of Life service for Brittany will be held at 7 p.m. today, Dec. 9, at Effingham High School in the gym with Rev. Dr. Roger Marshall officiating. Services are in care of
- Marvin Suckow Marvin A. Suckow, 85, of rural Mason, died at 5:02 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, at his home surrounded by his family. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Zion Lutheran Church, rural Altamont, with Rev. Michael Kloepping officiating. Burial
- Brittany Baker Brittany Nicole Baker, 18, of Watson, went to be with the Lord on Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013. A Celebration of Life service for Brittany will be held at 7 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 at Effingham High School in the gym with the Rev. Dr. Roger Marshall o
- Willie Runnels Jr. Willie F. Runnels Jr., 61, of Effingham, passed away at 11:51 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013 at St. Anthony Memorial Hospital in Effingham. There will be no services per the wishes of Willie and his son. Memorials may be made to ALS Association. Bauer
- More Death Notices Headlines