Eleanor Ann Loy Devall, 94, of Effingham, passed away at 10:10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, with Dr. Joe Scheets officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Effingham. Visitation will be from noon until service time at the church. Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of arrangements. Memorial donations may be made to Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham. Online condolences may be left at www.johnsonandsonsfh.com.
Eleanor was born on July 20, 1918, in Effingham, the youngest child of Clark M. and Anna (Behrens) Loy. She married Noble F. Devall on March 30, 1944, in Effingham, and he preceded her in death on Aug. 6, 1989. Eleanor was a 1941 graduate of the University of Illinois in Urbana and taught English at Teutopolis High School from 1966 to 1984. She was a lifelong member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Effingham, was president of the United Methodist Women and served on many of the governing boards of the church. She was the church organist for many years. Eleanor was also a 50-year plus member of Chapter FA of P.E.O., Effingham, serving as president three times. She was a member of the local chapter of DAR and also a member of FISH, delivering Meals on Wheels and driving as needed in the area for 12 years. Also included in her many activities were the Effingham Ladies Reading Circle, the local garden club, the Community Concert Board and the United Way Board.
Eleanor is survived by her three children, Nancy (Bill) Reynolds of Marco Island, Fla., David A. (Penny) Devall of Champaign and Robert K. "Bob" (Debbie) Devall of Effingham. She also leaves nine grandchildren, Brock (Amy) Reynolds, Scott (Michelle) Reynolds, David A. Devall Jr., Michael Devall, Barbara (Scott) Coonrod, MSgt. Robert (Meghan) Devall, Theresa (Scott) Jensen, Matt Devall, Mark Devall; and six great-grandchildren, Braeden Devall, Preston Reynolds, Shaling Reynolds, Cooper Reynolds, Chase Reynolds and Lucas Jensen.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Noble; brother, Robert K. Loy; sister, Dorothy Hedgcock; and two infant siblings.
- Death Notices
- Leona Hartke Leona R. Hartke, 89, of Sigel, died Monday, April 14, 2014, at Lakeland Rehab & Health Care Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. today, April 16, at St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church, Sigel. Burial will be in St. Rose Cemete
- Verlene Borton Verlene (Blair) Borton, 97, of Edgewood, passed away at 5:55 p.m. Monday, April 14, 2014, at Effingham Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday with a viewing one hour prior to service at Full Gospe
- Alan Cornwell Alan Gale Cornwell, 87, World War II and Korean War veteran, of Newton, died at 12:45a.m. Thursday, April 10, 2014, at Richland Memorial Hospital, Olney. Masonic services will be at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Blake-Buchanan Funeral Home, Newton, with fun
- Janet Flach Janet A. Flach, 85 of Effingham, died at 9:38 p.m. Sunday, April 13, 2014, at Heartland Christian Village, Neoga. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. today, April 16, at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Effingham. Burial will be in St. Anthon
- James Tidwell James A. Tidwell, 65, of Charleston, chairman of the Journalism Department at Eastern Illinois University, died Saturday, April 12, 2014. Services will be Wednesday at First Baptist Church, 2800 University Drive, Charleston, with visitation beginning
- Leona Hartke Leona R. Hartke, 89, of Sigel, passed away Monday, April 14, 2014, at Lakeland Rehab & Health Care Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church in Sigel with burial in St. Rose Cem
- Janet Flach Janet A. Flach, 85, of Effingham, passed away at 9:38 p.m. Sunday, April 13, 2014, at Heartland Christian Village in Neoga. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Effingham with burial in St.
- Alan Cornwell Alan Gale Cornwell, 87, of Newton, died at 12:45 a.m. Thursday, April 10, 2014, at Richland Memorial Hospital, Olney. Masonic Services will be held at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the Blake-Buchanan Funeral Home in Newton, with funeral services to follow
- Lewis Crawford Lewis William Crawford, 87, of St. Elmo, passed away at 6:34 a.m. Friday, April 11, 2014, at St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital, Effingham. Graveside service will be at 11 a.m. in Griffith Cemetery, Brownstown, with Pee Wee Denton officiating. Memorials
- W. Eugene St. John W. Eugene St. John, 84, of Toledo, passed away at 4:45 a.m. Friday, April 11, 2014, at Mattoon Rehab and Health Care, Mattoon. There will be no funeral services. Inurnment will be in the Toledo Cemetery at a later date. Memorials can be made to eithe
- More Death Notices Headlines