Eleanor Ann Loy Devall, 94, of Effingham, passed away at 10:10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, with Dr. Joe Scheets officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Effingham. Visitation will be from noon until service time at the church. Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of arrangements. Memorial donations may be made to Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham. Online condolences may be left at www.johnsonandsonsfh.com.
Eleanor was born on July 20, 1918, in Effingham, the youngest child of Clark M. and Anna (Behrens) Loy. She married Noble F. Devall on March 30, 1944, in Effingham, and he preceded her in death on Aug. 6, 1989. Eleanor was a 1941 graduate of the University of Illinois in Urbana and taught English at Teutopolis High School from 1966 to 1984. She was a lifelong member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Effingham, was president of the United Methodist Women and served on many of the governing boards of the church. She was the church organist for many years. Eleanor was also a 50-year plus member of Chapter FA of P.E.O., Effingham, serving as president three times. She was a member of the local chapter of DAR and also a member of FISH, delivering Meals on Wheels and driving as needed in the area for 12 years. Also included in her many activities were the Effingham Ladies Reading Circle, the local garden club, the Community Concert Board and the United Way Board.
Eleanor is survived by her three children, Nancy (Bill) Reynolds of Marco Island, Fla., David A. (Penny) Devall of Champaign and Robert K. "Bob" (Debbie) Devall of Effingham. She also leaves nine grandchildren, Brock (Amy) Reynolds, Scott (Michelle) Reynolds, David A. Devall Jr., Michael Devall, Barbara (Scott) Coonrod, MSgt. Robert (Meghan) Devall, Theresa (Scott) Jensen, Matt Devall, Mark Devall; and six great-grandchildren, Braeden Devall, Preston Reynolds, Shaling Reynolds, Cooper Reynolds, Chase Reynolds and Lucas Jensen.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Noble; brother, Robert K. Loy; sister, Dorothy Hedgcock; and two infant siblings.
- Death Notices
- Damian Apke Damian J. “Joe” Apke, 73, of Effingham, died at 8:11 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center, Mattoon.A memorial service will be at a later date. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is assisting the family with arrangements. Onl
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. today, July 25, at Bone Gap Cemetery with Kirk Rowe officiating. Memorials may be made to the family and can be left at
- Helena Smith Helena M. Smith, 93, of Newton, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital, Effingham.Funeral services will be at noon Monday at Scott Avenue Christian Church, Newton, with the Rev. Gary Hall officiating. Burial will
- Gary Carroll Gary Lynn Carroll, 60, of Brownstown, died at 8:50 a.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at his son’s home.There will be no services. A private family burial will take place at a later date. Gieseking-Claggett Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangem
- Michelle Dunn Michelle “Shelly” Eagleson Dunn, 43, of Oakland City, Indiana, formerly of Toledo, passed away at 12:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Gibson General Hospital, Princeton, Indiana.Funeral services will be at 3 p.m. Saturday at Barkley Funeral Chapel,
- Peggy Black Peggy Joan Black, 81, of Casey, died at 11:20 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Heartland Nursing Center, Casey.Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Markwell Funeral Home with the Rev. Tom Marsh officiating. Burial will be in Casey Cumberla
- Dennis Nichols Dennis W. Nichols, 61, of Altamont, died Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at his home.A memorial service will be at a later date. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of the arrangements. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com.
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died away at 9:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Arrangements are incomplete at Meyer Funeral Home, Newton.
- Raymond Boose Jr. Raymond Vaughn Boose Jr., 70, of St. Elmo, died at 3 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Lutheran Care Center, Altamont.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Beecher City Church of Christ with Dennis Warner officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Mori
- Michelle Dunn Michelle “Shelly” Eagleson Dunn, 43, of Oakland City, Indiana, and formerly of Toledo, died at 12:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Gibson General Hospital, Princeton, Indiana.Arrangements are incomplete at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Toledo.
- More Death Notices Headlines