Eleanor Ann Loy Devall, 94, of Effingham, passed away at 10:10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, with Dr. Joe Scheets officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Effingham. Visitation will be from noon until service time at the church. Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of arrangements. Memorial donations may be made to Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham. Online condolences may be left at www.johnsonandsonsfh.com.
Eleanor was born on July 20, 1918, in Effingham, the youngest child of Clark M. and Anna (Behrens) Loy. She married Noble F. Devall on March 30, 1944, in Effingham, and he preceded her in death on Aug. 6, 1989. Eleanor was a 1941 graduate of the University of Illinois in Urbana and taught English at Teutopolis High School from 1966 to 1984. She was a lifelong member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Effingham, was president of the United Methodist Women and served on many of the governing boards of the church. She was the church organist for many years. Eleanor was also a 50-year plus member of Chapter FA of P.E.O., Effingham, serving as president three times. She was a member of the local chapter of DAR and also a member of FISH, delivering Meals on Wheels and driving as needed in the area for 12 years. Also included in her many activities were the Effingham Ladies Reading Circle, the local garden club, the Community Concert Board and the United Way Board.
Eleanor is survived by her three children, Nancy (Bill) Reynolds of Marco Island, Fla., David A. (Penny) Devall of Champaign and Robert K. "Bob" (Debbie) Devall of Effingham. She also leaves nine grandchildren, Brock (Amy) Reynolds, Scott (Michelle) Reynolds, David A. Devall Jr., Michael Devall, Barbara (Scott) Coonrod, MSgt. Robert (Meghan) Devall, Theresa (Scott) Jensen, Matt Devall, Mark Devall; and six great-grandchildren, Braeden Devall, Preston Reynolds, Shaling Reynolds, Cooper Reynolds, Chase Reynolds and Lucas Jensen.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Noble; brother, Robert K. Loy; sister, Dorothy Hedgcock; and two infant siblings.
- Death Notices
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died away at 9:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Arrangements are incomplete at Meyer Funeral Home, Newton.
- Raymond Boose Jr. Raymond Vaughn Boose Jr., 70, of St. Elmo, died at 3 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Lutheran Care Center, Altamont.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Beecher City Church of Christ with Dennis Warner officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Mori
- Michelle Dunn Michelle “Shelly” Eagleson Dunn, 43, of Oakland City, Indiana, and formerly of Toledo, died at 12:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Gibson General Hospital, Princeton, Indiana.Arrangements are incomplete at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Toledo.
- Helena Smith Helena M. Smith, 93, of Newton, died at 7:18 a.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital, Effingham.Arrangements are incomplete at Crain Funeral Home, Newton.
- Betty Aldrich Betty Jean Aldrich, 89, of Olney, former longtime resident of Sumner, passed away July 21, 2014, after a lengthy illness.Graveside services will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday at Elmwood Cemetery, Flora, where she will be buried next to her dad. Sivert-Macey
- Christine Koester Christine F. Koester, 87, of Teutopolis, died at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, July 19, 2014, at her home.Funeral Mass will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Burial will be in St. Francis Cemetery. Visitation wil
- Bernard Eagleson Bernard L. “Rex” Eagleson, 93, of Toledo, died in his home surrounded by family on the afternoon of Monday, July 21, 2014.Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Friday at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Toledo. Burial with military rites by Cumberland County Vet
- Raymond Boose Jr. Raymond Vaughn Boose Jr., 70, of St. Elmo, died at 3 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Lutheran Care Center, Altamont.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Beecher City Church of Christ with Dennis Warner officiating. Burial will be at Mt. Mori
- Gary Carroll Gary Lynn Carroll, 60, of Brownstown, died at 8:50 a.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at his son’s home in Brownstown.There will be no services. A private family burial will take place at a later date. Gieseking-Claggett Funeral Home is assisting the family
- Betty Schneider Betty Jane Schneider, 65, Farina, passed away at 9:07 p.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at her home.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Peter Lutheran Church, St. Peter, with the Rev. Kent Tibben officiating. Burial will be in St. Peter Luthe
- More Death Notices Headlines