Eleanor Ann Loy Devall, 94, of Effingham, passed away at 10:10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, with Dr. Joe Scheets officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Effingham. Visitation will be from noon until service time at the church. Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of arrangements. Memorial donations may be made to Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham. Online condolences may be left at www.johnsonandsonsfh.com.
Eleanor was born on July 20, 1918, in Effingham, the youngest child of Clark M. and Anna (Behrens) Loy. She married Noble F. Devall on March 30, 1944, in Effingham, and he preceded her in death on Aug. 6, 1989. Eleanor was a 1941 graduate of the University of Illinois in Urbana and taught English at Teutopolis High School from 1966 to 1984. She was a lifelong member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Effingham, was president of the United Methodist Women and served on many of the governing boards of the church. She was the church organist for many years. Eleanor was also a 50-year plus member of Chapter FA of P.E.O., Effingham, serving as president three times. She was a member of the local chapter of DAR and also a member of FISH, delivering Meals on Wheels and driving as needed in the area for 12 years. Also included in her many activities were the Effingham Ladies Reading Circle, the local garden club, the Community Concert Board and the United Way Board.
Eleanor is survived by her three children, Nancy (Bill) Reynolds of Marco Island, Fla., David A. (Penny) Devall of Champaign and Robert K. "Bob" (Debbie) Devall of Effingham. She also leaves nine grandchildren, Brock (Amy) Reynolds, Scott (Michelle) Reynolds, David A. Devall Jr., Michael Devall, Barbara (Scott) Coonrod, MSgt. Robert (Meghan) Devall, Theresa (Scott) Jensen, Matt Devall, Mark Devall; and six great-grandchildren, Braeden Devall, Preston Reynolds, Shaling Reynolds, Cooper Reynolds, Chase Reynolds and Lucas Jensen.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Noble; brother, Robert K. Loy; sister, Dorothy Hedgcock; and two infant siblings.
- Death Notices
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, age 92, of Newton, retired farmer, died at 2:19 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St John's Hospital in Springfield. Arrangements are being handled by J.W. Neal Funeral Home, Louisville where the family will receive friends fr
- Brenda Hammond Brenda J. Hammond, 73, of Martinsville, IL passed away at 10:26 a.m. on Friday, April 18, 2014, at her home in Martinsville. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Greenwell Funeral Home with Bro. Randy Black officiating. Burial will
- Genevieve Hickox Genevieve Lillian Hickox, 90, of Casey, retired teacher, died at 12 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at Heartland Nursing Center, Casey. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Markwell Funeral Home with Pastor Ken “Bud” Wade officiating.
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, age 92, of Newton, passed away at 2:19 p.m., Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St John's Hospital in Springfield. Arrangements are being handled by J.W. Neal Funeral Home, Louisville, where the family will receive friends from 6 to
- Samie Cox Samie F. Cox, 69, died Tuesday morning, April 15, 2014, at her home in Effingham. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bauer Funeral Home in Effingham with burial in Red Brush Cemetery, Louisville. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m.
- Carolyn Sur Carolyn A Sur, 72, of Green Creek, passed away Saturday evening at her sister's home. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Mary's Help of Christians Catholic Church in Green Creek with burial in the church cemetery. Visitation will
- Samie Cox Samie F. Cox, 69, passed away Tuesday morning, April 15, 2014 at her home in Effingham. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bauer Funeral Home in Effingham with burial in Red Brush Cemetery, Louisville. Visitation will be held from
- Terry Cutright Terry Michael Cutright, 68, of Lehigh Acres, Fla., U.S. Army veteran and telecommunications engineer, died Thursday, April 10, 2014. A memorial service will be held at a later date in Casey. To view the full obituary, send a condolence message, ligh
- Wanda King Wanda J. King, 76, of Forsyth, died at 9:06 p.m. Tuesday, April 15, 2014, in her home. Arrangements are incomplete at Lockart-Green Funeral Home in Shelbyville. Wanda King Forsyth
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, 92, of Louisville, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St. John's Hospital, Springfield. Arrangements are incomplete at Neal Funeral Home, Louisville. Allen Blair Louisville
- More Death Notices Headlines