Eleanor Ann Loy Devall, 94, of Effingham, passed away at 10:10 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012, at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham.
Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, with Dr. Joe Scheets officiating. Burial will be in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Effingham. Visitation will be from noon until service time at the church. Johnson Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of arrangements. Memorial donations may be made to Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham. Online condolences may be left at www.johnsonandsonsfh.com.
Eleanor was born on July 20, 1918, in Effingham, the youngest child of Clark M. and Anna (Behrens) Loy. She married Noble F. Devall on March 30, 1944, in Effingham, and he preceded her in death on Aug. 6, 1989. Eleanor was a 1941 graduate of the University of Illinois in Urbana and taught English at Teutopolis High School from 1966 to 1984. She was a lifelong member of Centenary United Methodist Church in Effingham, was president of the United Methodist Women and served on many of the governing boards of the church. She was the church organist for many years. Eleanor was also a 50-year plus member of Chapter FA of P.E.O., Effingham, serving as president three times. She was a member of the local chapter of DAR and also a member of FISH, delivering Meals on Wheels and driving as needed in the area for 12 years. Also included in her many activities were the Effingham Ladies Reading Circle, the local garden club, the Community Concert Board and the United Way Board.
Eleanor is survived by her three children, Nancy (Bill) Reynolds of Marco Island, Fla., David A. (Penny) Devall of Champaign and Robert K. "Bob" (Debbie) Devall of Effingham. She also leaves nine grandchildren, Brock (Amy) Reynolds, Scott (Michelle) Reynolds, David A. Devall Jr., Michael Devall, Barbara (Scott) Coonrod, MSgt. Robert (Meghan) Devall, Theresa (Scott) Jensen, Matt Devall, Mark Devall; and six great-grandchildren, Braeden Devall, Preston Reynolds, Shaling Reynolds, Cooper Reynolds, Chase Reynolds and Lucas Jensen.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Noble; brother, Robert K. Loy; sister, Dorothy Hedgcock; and two infant siblings.
- Death Notices
- Kenneth Beaumont Kenneth Dale “Smoke” Beaumont, 64, went home to Jesus on Thursday, July 24, 2014, following an eight year and eight month fight with cancer of the esophagus, colon, and pleural cavity. He was a survivor and can now rest as he has been eternally cure
- Eileen O'Donnell Effingham Eileen B. O’Donnell, 99, of Effingham, died Thursday, July 24, 2014, at her home. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. today, July 28, at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Effingham. Burial will be in Leith Cemetery, Mason. Memorials may b
- Leonard Mette Leonard Charles Mette, 90, of Wheeler, passed away at 10:28 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at Evergreen Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Effingham. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Bi
- Janie Martinez Janie Lou Martinez, 46, of Montrose, died at 10:05 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at her home. Arrangements are incomplete at the Meyer Funeral Home, Dieterich.
- Jean Webb Jean Webb, 80, of Effingham, died Friday, July 25, 2014 at her home. Arrangements are incomplete at Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham.
- Sherry Spitzner Sherry Kay Spitzner, 54, of Flora, died at 4:29 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at the Clay County Hospital, Flora. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the Lockart-Green Funeral Home, Cowden. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today, Jul
- Damian Apke Damian J. “Joe” Apke, 73, of Effingham, died at 8:11 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center, Mattoon.A memorial service will be at a later date. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is assisting the family with arrangements. Onl
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. today, July 25, at Bone Gap Cemetery with Kirk Rowe officiating. Memorials may be made to the family and can be left at
- Helena Smith Helena M. Smith, 93, of Newton, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital, Effingham.Funeral services will be at noon Monday at Scott Avenue Christian Church, Newton, with the Rev. Gary Hall officiating. Burial will
- Gary Carroll Gary Lynn Carroll, 60, of Brownstown, died at 8:50 a.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at his son’s home.There will be no services. A private family burial will take place at a later date. Gieseking-Claggett Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangem
- More Death Notices Headlines