Marcella M. Burner, 87, of rural Cowden, formerly of Effingham, passed away at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, at St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital in Effingham.
A public memorial Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Visitation was held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Bauer Funeral Home, Teutopolis. Burial took place at 9:15 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8, in St. Francis Cemetery, Teutopolis. Memorials may be made to the donor's choice. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com
Marcella was born Dec. 21, 1924, in Teutopolis, the daughter of Fred and Marie (Schlemmer) Schoenhoff. She married James B. Burner in 1948.
Marcella was a strong, independent woman who loved her family. She held her grandchildren very dear to her heart. She was known for her extreme kindness and her love of animals.
Marcella is survived by her two daughters, Linda (Danny) Grimes of Kewanee and Susan (Jerry) Henkelman of Watson; two sons, Mike Burner of Effingham and Jeff Burner of Teutopolis; 11 grandkids, Shad Burner and Stacy Hollinshead, whom she had raised, Jason Burner, Maria Barfield, April Hardiek, Angela Henkelman, Shane Henkelman, Brett Burner, Garth Grimes, Chandra Dowda and Kenneth "Bogie" Pontious; and 19 great-grandchildren.
Marcella was preceded in death by her parents; son, James "Bud;" brother, Frederick; and sister, Mildred Sanderson.
- Death Notices
- Damian Apke Damian J. “Joe” Apke, 73, of Effingham, died at 8:11 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center, Mattoon.A memorial service will be at a later date. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is assisting the family with arrangements. Onl
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. today, July 25, at Bone Gap Cemetery with Kirk Rowe officiating. Memorials may be made to the family and can be left at
- Helena Smith Helena M. Smith, 93, of Newton, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital, Effingham.Funeral services will be at noon Monday at Scott Avenue Christian Church, Newton, with the Rev. Gary Hall officiating. Burial will
- Gary Carroll Gary Lynn Carroll, 60, of Brownstown, died at 8:50 a.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at his son’s home.There will be no services. A private family burial will take place at a later date. Gieseking-Claggett Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangem
- Michelle Dunn Michelle “Shelly” Eagleson Dunn, 43, of Oakland City, Indiana, formerly of Toledo, passed away at 12:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Gibson General Hospital, Princeton, Indiana.Funeral services will be at 3 p.m. Saturday at Barkley Funeral Chapel,
- Peggy Black Peggy Joan Black, 81, of Casey, died at 11:20 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Heartland Nursing Center, Casey.Funeral services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Markwell Funeral Home with the Rev. Tom Marsh officiating. Burial will be in Casey Cumberla
- Dennis Nichols Dennis W. Nichols, 61, of Altamont, died Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at his home.A memorial service will be at a later date. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is in charge of the arrangements. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com.
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died away at 9:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Arrangements are incomplete at Meyer Funeral Home, Newton.
- Raymond Boose Jr. Raymond Vaughn Boose Jr., 70, of St. Elmo, died at 3 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Lutheran Care Center, Altamont.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Beecher City Church of Christ with Dennis Warner officiating. Burial will be in Mt. Mori
- Michelle Dunn Michelle “Shelly” Eagleson Dunn, 43, of Oakland City, Indiana, and formerly of Toledo, died at 12:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at Gibson General Hospital, Princeton, Indiana.Arrangements are incomplete at Barkley Funeral Chapel, Toledo.
- More Death Notices Headlines