Marcella M. Burner, 87, of rural Cowden, formerly of Effingham, passed away at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, at St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital in Effingham.
A public memorial Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Visitation was held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Bauer Funeral Home, Teutopolis. Burial took place at 9:15 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8, in St. Francis Cemetery, Teutopolis. Memorials may be made to the donor's choice. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com
Marcella was born Dec. 21, 1924, in Teutopolis, the daughter of Fred and Marie (Schlemmer) Schoenhoff. She married James B. Burner in 1948.
Marcella was a strong, independent woman who loved her family. She held her grandchildren very dear to her heart. She was known for her extreme kindness and her love of animals.
Marcella is survived by her two daughters, Linda (Danny) Grimes of Kewanee and Susan (Jerry) Henkelman of Watson; two sons, Mike Burner of Effingham and Jeff Burner of Teutopolis; 11 grandkids, Shad Burner and Stacy Hollinshead, whom she had raised, Jason Burner, Maria Barfield, April Hardiek, Angela Henkelman, Shane Henkelman, Brett Burner, Garth Grimes, Chandra Dowda and Kenneth "Bogie" Pontious; and 19 great-grandchildren.
Marcella was preceded in death by her parents; son, James "Bud;" brother, Frederick; and sister, Mildred Sanderson.
- Death Notices
- Christine Koester Christine F. Koester, 87, of Teutopolis, died at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, July 19, 2014, at her home.Funeral Mass will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Burial will be in St. Francis Cemetery. Visitation wil
- Christine Koester Christine F. Koester, 87, passed away at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, July 19, 2014, at her home in Teutopolis.A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis, with burial in St. Francis Cemetery. Visi
- Gary Carroll Gary Carroll, 61, of Brownstown, died at 8:50 a.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at his son’s home, Brownstown.Arrangements are incomplete at Gieseking-Claggett Funeral Home, Brownstown.
- Bernis McCormick Bernis Pauline McCormick, 93, of Shelbyville, cook, died at 8:25 a.m. Thursday, July 17, 2014, in her home.Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, July 20, in Glenwood Cemetery, Shelbyville. Arrangements are by Howe and Yockey Funeral Home,
- Dick Biggs Dickie Lee “Dick” Biggs, 78, of Casey, IL, U.S. Navy veteran, passed away at 1:07 a.m. on Friday, July 18, 2014 at Carle Hospital in Urbana, IL.A memorial service will be conducted at 11 a.m. on Tuesday at the Trinity Lutheran Church with Pastor Mike
- Bernice Buchanan Bernice Lou Buchanan, 80, of Shelbyville passed from this life at 8:12 a.m. Tuesday, July 15, 2014, at St. Mary’s Hospital, Decatur. Graveside services only for the family were held Friday, July 18, at Myers Cemetery at Herrick, with Pastor Nathan Ha
- Richard Wormhoudt Richard “Dick” Wormhoudt, 92, of Effingham, Illinois, entered into eternal life on Thursday, July 17, 2014 at 11 p.m. at Lakeland Rehabilitation & Health Care Center in Effingham.A future memorial service is planned in Ottumwa, Iowa, at the time of i
- Emily Noffke Emily Suzanne Noffke, 90, of Stewardson, IL died at 7:45 a.m. Thursday (July 17, 2014) at the Heartland Christian Village, Neoga.Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Stewardson United Methodist Church, Stewardson, IL with Pastor Kath
- Ruth Mankin Ruth “Joan” Mankin, 93, of Effingham, passed away at 1:05 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, 2014, at Evergreen Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. today, July 18, at Centenary United Methodist Church, Effingham, w
- Gloria Nuxoll Gloria R. Nuxoll, 81, of Effingham, died Tuesday, July 15, 2014, at St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital, Effingham.A Celebration of Life Service will be at 10 a.m. today, July 18, at Hall Funeral Chapel, Effingham, with the Rev. Howard Kraps officiating.
- More Death Notices Headlines