Marcella M. Burner, 87, of rural Cowden, formerly of Effingham, passed away at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, at St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital in Effingham.
A public memorial Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Visitation was held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Bauer Funeral Home, Teutopolis. Burial took place at 9:15 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8, in St. Francis Cemetery, Teutopolis. Memorials may be made to the donor's choice. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com
Marcella was born Dec. 21, 1924, in Teutopolis, the daughter of Fred and Marie (Schlemmer) Schoenhoff. She married James B. Burner in 1948.
Marcella was a strong, independent woman who loved her family. She held her grandchildren very dear to her heart. She was known for her extreme kindness and her love of animals.
Marcella is survived by her two daughters, Linda (Danny) Grimes of Kewanee and Susan (Jerry) Henkelman of Watson; two sons, Mike Burner of Effingham and Jeff Burner of Teutopolis; 11 grandkids, Shad Burner and Stacy Hollinshead, whom she had raised, Jason Burner, Maria Barfield, April Hardiek, Angela Henkelman, Shane Henkelman, Brett Burner, Garth Grimes, Chandra Dowda and Kenneth "Bogie" Pontious; and 19 great-grandchildren.
Marcella was preceded in death by her parents; son, James "Bud;" brother, Frederick; and sister, Mildred Sanderson.
- Death Notices
- Kenneth Beaumont Kenneth Dale “Smoke” Beaumont, 64, went home to Jesus on Thursday, July 24, 2014, following an eight year and eight month fight with cancer of the esophagus, colon, and pleural cavity. He was a survivor and can now rest as he has been eternally cure
- Eileen O'Donnell Effingham Eileen B. O’Donnell, 99, of Effingham, died Thursday, July 24, 2014, at her home. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. today, July 28, at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, Effingham. Burial will be in Leith Cemetery, Mason. Memorials may b
- Leonard Mette Leonard Charles Mette, 90, of Wheeler, passed away at 10:28 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at Evergreen Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Effingham. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Bi
- Janie Martinez Janie Lou Martinez, 46, of Montrose, died at 10:05 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at her home. Arrangements are incomplete at the Meyer Funeral Home, Dieterich.
- Jean Webb Jean Webb, 80, of Effingham, died Friday, July 25, 2014 at her home. Arrangements are incomplete at Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham.
- Sherry Spitzner Sherry Kay Spitzner, 54, of Flora, died at 4:29 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at the Clay County Hospital, Flora. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the Lockart-Green Funeral Home, Cowden. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. today, Jul
- Damian Apke Damian J. “Joe” Apke, 73, of Effingham, died at 8:11 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center, Mattoon.A memorial service will be at a later date. Bauer Funeral Home, Effingham, is assisting the family with arrangements. Onl
- Jeremy Vahling Jeremy Alan Vahling, 33, of Bone Gap, died at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at his home.Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. today, July 25, at Bone Gap Cemetery with Kirk Rowe officiating. Memorials may be made to the family and can be left at
- Helena Smith Helena M. Smith, 93, of Newton, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at St. Anthony’s Memorial Hospital, Effingham.Funeral services will be at noon Monday at Scott Avenue Christian Church, Newton, with the Rev. Gary Hall officiating. Burial will
- Gary Carroll Gary Lynn Carroll, 60, of Brownstown, died at 8:50 a.m. Sunday, July 20, 2014, at his son’s home.There will be no services. A private family burial will take place at a later date. Gieseking-Claggett Funeral Home is assisting the family with arrangem
- More Death Notices Headlines