Marcella M. Burner, 87, of rural Cowden, formerly of Effingham, passed away at 1:35 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, at St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital in Effingham.
A public memorial Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Teutopolis. Visitation was held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Bauer Funeral Home, Teutopolis. Burial took place at 9:15 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 8, in St. Francis Cemetery, Teutopolis. Memorials may be made to the donor's choice. Online condolences may be left at www.bauerfh.com
Marcella was born Dec. 21, 1924, in Teutopolis, the daughter of Fred and Marie (Schlemmer) Schoenhoff. She married James B. Burner in 1948.
Marcella was a strong, independent woman who loved her family. She held her grandchildren very dear to her heart. She was known for her extreme kindness and her love of animals.
Marcella is survived by her two daughters, Linda (Danny) Grimes of Kewanee and Susan (Jerry) Henkelman of Watson; two sons, Mike Burner of Effingham and Jeff Burner of Teutopolis; 11 grandkids, Shad Burner and Stacy Hollinshead, whom she had raised, Jason Burner, Maria Barfield, April Hardiek, Angela Henkelman, Shane Henkelman, Brett Burner, Garth Grimes, Chandra Dowda and Kenneth "Bogie" Pontious; and 19 great-grandchildren.
Marcella was preceded in death by her parents; son, James "Bud;" brother, Frederick; and sister, Mildred Sanderson.
- Death Notices
- Genevieve Hickox Genevieve Lillian Hickox, 90, of Casey, retired teacher, died at 12 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at Heartland Nursing Center, Casey. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Markwell Funeral Home with Pastor Ken “Bud” Wade officiating.
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, age 92, of Newton, passed away at 2:19 p.m., Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St John's Hospital in Springfield. Arrangements are being handled by J.W. Neal Funeral Home, Louisville, where the family will receive friends from 6 to
- Samie Cox Samie F. Cox, 69, died Tuesday morning, April 15, 2014, at her home in Effingham. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bauer Funeral Home in Effingham with burial in Red Brush Cemetery, Louisville. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m.
- Carolyn Sur Carolyn A Sur, 72, of Green Creek, passed away Saturday evening at her sister's home. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Mary's Help of Christians Catholic Church in Green Creek with burial in the church cemetery. Visitation will
- Samie Cox Samie F. Cox, 69, passed away Tuesday morning, April 15, 2014 at her home in Effingham. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bauer Funeral Home in Effingham with burial in Red Brush Cemetery, Louisville. Visitation will be held from
- Terry Cutright Terry Michael Cutright, 68, of Lehigh Acres, Fla., U.S. Army veteran and telecommunications engineer, died Thursday, April 10, 2014. A memorial service will be held at a later date in Casey. To view the full obituary, send a condolence message, ligh
- Wanda King Wanda J. King, 76, of Forsyth, died at 9:06 p.m. Tuesday, April 15, 2014, in her home. Arrangements are incomplete at Lockart-Green Funeral Home in Shelbyville. Wanda King Forsyth
- Allen Blair Allen Burdette Blair, 92, of Louisville, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014, at St. John's Hospital, Springfield. Arrangements are incomplete at Neal Funeral Home, Louisville. Allen Blair Louisville
- Leona Hartke Leona R. Hartke, 89, of Sigel, died Monday, April 14, 2014, at Lakeland Rehab & Health Care Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. today, April 16, at St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church, Sigel. Burial will be in St. Rose Cemete
- Verlene Borton Verlene (Blair) Borton, 97, of Edgewood, passed away at 5:55 p.m. Monday, April 14, 2014, at Effingham Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, Effingham. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday with a viewing one hour prior to service at Full Gospe
- More Death Notices Headlines