Effingham Daily News, Effingham, IL

January 21, 2013

Dr. Edgar Gaskill

Effingham Daily News

CHARLESTON — Dr. Edgar Gaskill, age 75, of Charleston and formerly of Effingham, was released from his suffering on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, at Hilltop Skilled Nursing and Rehab Center.

Funeral services will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday at Adams Funeral Chapel, Charleston. Visitation will be held on Sunday from 1 p.m. until service time. Burial will be at 1 p.m. Monday at the Farnsworth (Mount Zion) Cemetery in Wayne County near Keenes. It is requested that in lieu of flowers, memorial gifts in his honor be made to the Wesley United Methodist Church or to Harbor Lights Hospice. Gifts may be left on the memorial table at the visitation or service, or mailed to Adams Funeral Chapel, 2330 Shawnee Dr., Charleston, IL 61920. Dr. Gaskill's memorial website and complete obituary is available at www.adamsfuneralchapel.com where condolences may be sent to the family by clicking on obituaries.

Edgar was born on Jan. 29, 1937, in Keenes, the son of the late Allen and Georgia Gaskill. He married Mary Lou Carrico in November of 1967 in Harrisburg.

He is survived by Mary Lou of Charleston; a sister, Edna Pfaff of Keenes; two nieces, Karen Pfaff of Ocean Springs, Miss., and Nancy (Brad) Greenwalt of Keenes; a nephew, Allen (Elaine) Pfaffe of Keenes; and two great-nephews.

In 1997 Ed made his home at Lake Sara in Effingham where volunteer work became his purpose and his passion. He volunteered as a reading teacher for adults and assisted with income tax filing. He volunteered through the Senior Center as a ÒRules of the RoadÓ teacher and assisted the elderly with money management. The past several years were spent assisting the elderly with insurance problems and helping to write state grants for low income individuals. Ed has been honored as Volunteer of the Year at both a state and local level.

Ed was a member of Wesley United Methodist Church in Charleston and the Retired Teachers Association. In August of 2012, he relocated to Charleston so that Mary Lou could assist him as he underwent surgeries and cancer treatment. His health continued to decline and the hospital and nursing home became his residence for the last month of his life.